Saturday, January 29, 2011

Red Velvet Mocha Buttercream...not really though.


Yesterday started off really good. Kin's Grana got to eat at school with us and she LOVED that! She also got to take a field trip to the stock yard to see all the animals. They have been learning about animal this week and since then she has come home asking for a chicken, rabbit, duck, and goat! :o) I said maybe when she is older. I know Daddy would love for her to show some animals. He's gonna have to help her cause Momma sure didn't do very good raising a pig when she was little! The pig thought so though. It ended up being overweight because I fed it instant oatmeal all the time! But that's another funny story.
Anyways...The other two girls and I wanted to go but they ended up taking a nap. Ah...peace! But it soon ended. Kinadie must have a stomach bug. She was up all night.

I managed to make these cupcakes while she was sleeping yesterday afternoon. I really wanted to experiment with the chocolate and see what all I could do with that. And I also wanted to try making some cupcakes in a jar. Those were a few things I'd seen online.

We are at the end of our stock on groceries so the cupcakes were a box red velvet (I try to get ones that say moist). I used my left over coffee from that morning for the liquid and folded in some swmi sweet chocolate chips to try and bring out the coffee flavor. With the frosting I whipped in some espresso (2 tablespoons) and a little of the grounds into store bought buttercream (I know..but I'm out of pretty much anything in the fridge!). It got runny so I put in some powdered sugar.

I never could get it to taste like coffee but for touched up store bought, these were pretty good. Kris said they kinda had a coconut taste. Hmmm don't know how. lol I am going to try to attempt this again sometime. I need to research some mocha recipes. Maybe I need some extract or something.

2 comments:

  1. Grana had an awesome time as well. So sorry Kin got sick & was up all night... I love the chocolate letters & such on top of the cupcakes. You are awesome! Love you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made ya'll some ;o)They were great with my coffee this morning.

    ReplyDelete